Sunday, February 28, 2010

acceptance

I was dismayed by a post that mentioned the "people of Walmart" website.  I had never heard of this site and when I looked it was just as hurtful and shaming as you might imagine.  Clearly smug, there are people taking mostly secret photos of often overweight or differently dressed people followed by horrible comments.  All I could think was that I wish people could be more accepting of others and not feel the need to humiliate or hurt.  It's probably judgmental of me to feel this way, but I can't help but think that we have all been bullied and that it is rather chimp-like to proceed to find someone perceived "weaker" to showcase.  Some of the photos are defiantly proud and I applaud those photo subjects for being free to be themselves without approval or reservations.

All of this is to say, when we are giving Reiki, I think it is important and affirming (for ourselves, Reiki doesn't require this), to find what is beautiful and unique about the person before us and also what is the same or common for all of us.  Without exception, people look so amazing when they are receiving Reiki. Their faces relax, really relax, and you can feel the tension of having to fit in lifting.  Sometimes the face will look like a person from another era and we are reminded of lineage and of the passage of time.  Giving Reiki is giving acceptance and we all benefit from this sort of embrace.  Can we look at people on the street with Reiki eyes and hearts?  Send a little distance Reiki rather than a smirk?

No comments:

Post a Comment